Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Carpet Install (Read 3024 times)
Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:28pm

Urmulley   Offline
Top Gun Member
The Mullinator
Collierville, TN - Memphis

My new interior has arrived.  I will be removing my seats and old carpet. 
1.  How difficult is it to get to those front and rear seat adjustment screws that mount into the floor?
2.  Don't I need an spray adheasive for the carpet?  I noticed toward the rear of the interior the carpet runs up the rear wall.  It is falling down now, but no sign of any screw to hold it up and in place. 

Can anyone give me advise as to what to expect?  I will be ripping out the old this Friday night.
Thanks
Pat

Pat's 1965 Fastback & 02 Vette!
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 1:05pm

77GA-RED   Offline
Top Gun Member
Never enough red!
North of Atlanta, GA

Pat,
Let me know how yours goes and take plenty of Pictures. Are you replacing the door panels also? My door panels have carpet in them as they are delux panels but I'm planning on replacing them in the future without the carpet inserts.
My screw ins the floor just came out with very little effert. Hope your is the same. . . .

I have my new leather seats and just got the replacement carpet in from Ecklers yesterday. My carpet came with pading but I plan to go to the hardware store for  heat shielding. My original carpet actually looks really good but this is more about a color change. Anyone want some grey carpet?
Mike :cheers:

Never enough RED Corvettes

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 1:25pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Quote:
My new interior has arrived.  I will be removing my seats and old carpet.  
1.  How difficult is it to get to those front and rear seat adjustment screws that mount into the floor?
2.  Don't I need an spray adheasive for the carpet?  I noticed toward the rear of the interior the carpet runs up the rear wall.  It is falling down now, but no sign of any screw to hold it up and in place.  

Can anyone give me advise as to what to expect?  I will be ripping out the old this Friday night.
Thanks
Pat
Buried here someplace in archives I have the complete carpet install I did 3-4 years ago. The seats weren't hard to get out at all. In fact when I get my inverted door kit soon, I will be redoing the whole interior again... just to refresh everything as it will be very easy to do with the doors off... I'll do a photo essay of that too.

I need a C3 Corvette! Here is my former yellowjacket:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/1977.htm
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 1:29pm

Knotacare   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I used alittle adhesive on the back behind the seats, but mine might be different than yours. If I remember there was around 8 pieces. Pretty easy job, just takes time, but everything fit fine in mine. I thinking of putting a darker gray in mine. Convertibles are easier I suspect because there's no top to get in the way of our bellies.
Alan :cheers:

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:24am

77GA-RED   Offline
Top Gun Member
Never enough red!
North of Atlanta, GA

Pat I hate to steal a thread but. . .  I opened the Ecklars box that has my new carpet and low and behold they did it to me again.
The wife purchased red carpet for a Christmas present for the car and I was thinking Black so I sent the carpet back for a swap. Three months go by and I ask them if they were going to send me the corrected carpet. Computer or staffing error and in three days I have the new carpet. Yeah!
Yesterdday evening I open the box and Yep!  Embarrassed They sent me red again. . . .  Tongue I'm sending it back but first I have to make a call to them and see if they will pay for the shipping and then I'm going to Corvette Central like I should have done in the first place.
Mike Kiss
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:25am by 77GA-RED »  

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 5:08am

Urmulley   Offline
Top Gun Member
The Mullinator

Mike, I know what your going through.  Sorry your not getting it faster.  Stick to your guns, they will finally get the word out and pull the black carpet for you.
Yes, I'll take lots of pictures and post to the forum.  Im starting Tomorrow night.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 5:46am
gerry   Ex Member

I buy all of my interior parts from wilcox, you will save alot and all the boxes are from corvette central.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 5:49am

Urmulley   Offline
Top Gun Member
The Mullinator

I bought the following from Willcox
1.  Interior Package Delux

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 5:53am

Urmulley   Offline
Top Gun Member
The Mullinator

Interior package delux
   Carpet
   Door panels w/trim
   Leather Seats
Rear Storage Compartment
Seat Foam
Seat hardware
Overflow tank
Power Steering Hoses
Floor mats
Seat Install Kit
License plate lamp
Hog Pliers
One can of Dye
all for $1600

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 5:55am

77GA-RED   Offline
Top Gun Member
Never enough red!
North of Atlanta, GA

This is an idea:
How about if we make a new section called Price Comparrison?

Ecklars
Part #A9471A, Carpet, Bright Red C/P, 1977 $244.99
This carpet with everything & padding.

What was the Willcox cost?

Mike :cheers:

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 6:01am

Urmulley   Offline
Top Gun Member
The Mullinator

I got the cut pile (original) with backing in my "Package" deal.  Package meaning Delux Package was $1050.  That included the Door Panels, seat covers, and carpet.  Have no idea what the individual cost would have been.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 3:47pm
sahaus   Ex Member

Seems to be the average price for the "Package interiors". 

While tinkering around the other day, I noticed that whom-ever replaced my carpet forgot the insulation/sound deadner underneath the carpet.  Shocked  Another thing to put on the "To-Do" list

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 8:57am
joejoe   Ex Member

Not sure if years are different, however the seats are easy to remove.  About a year ago did my brothers interior (he has a '70, not the one with the 2 '68's) and the preformed carpet worked great.  I was not sure at first as it did not seem to fit well, but as time passed it kept molding into space better and better. 

The rear carpet (for the coupe) is held in place by a gromet in the center just below the light.  On the '70 I did not use much spray adhesive.  The part that may seem a bit loose will be the backing behind the seats.  It is very difficult to get the carpet to form around the upper lip.  While I did not use any glue here if being loose bothers you then use a weather strip adhesive.  (I did not use glue in case had problems with 37 year old wiring for door ajar switches which run along backing)

You will need to find/cut the holes for seat bolts.  Lay the carpet and let sit a day to form, then use a pick/auger to spot hole.  I had to do some trimming to get carpet to lay correct along back (behind seats) and fit correct behind the side posts.  If trimming do it sparingly as you can always take more off, but you cannot add carpet. 

The rear trunk area is a bit of a chore as there is little room to move when installing (again coupe, I am sure convertible will be much easier) Again I laid the carpet and let sit awhile.  On the '70 there are drain tubes which needed to be cut.  Here you really want to take your time as a bad cut can show.  After carpet has formed tuck it more into the curve of the wheel well and find the hole for drain to outside.  Again start with small hole as you can make it bigger as needed.

The rear seatbelt/side pillar part will help hold the carpet in place when reinstalled, but there is some trimming needed there as well so the plastic is not binding/stressing.

If you have the deluxe kit it will have the lower carpet for the doors.  We had to replace the panels with new so had to drill all trim holes.  If you are doing the same do not drill holes where  the indentations are on back.  You need to find where your pieces will actually go through first.  Make sure all metal prongs are straight

For the carpet use the chrome/stainless piece to find the correct spots.  There are no markings for this on panel (new panel).  If using original panel then not a worry.  This is where I used just a bit of 3m spray adhesive to keep the carpet up under the trim and flat along panel.  Spray both pieces and let get tacky.  Clean the panel first with alcohol where carpet will lay.   

*****BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE TRIM AS YOU NEED THE METAL PRONGS NOT BROKEN*****

Remove all old staples holding fabric from door carpet (on backside of panel)  Stretch and staple in place starting from front round end.  You can cut excess off on rear.  To get a clean straight line will take time as the material will stretch some and become lose.  You want it pretty tight.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 12:22am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

:thumbsup: :goodjob:

I need a C3 Corvette! Here is my former yellowjacket:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/1977.htm
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 5:04am

Urmulley   Offline
Top Gun Member
The Mullinator

Ok, over the weekend, I was able to "gut" the car.  I removed Everything except the frame for the console.  I was successful in the install of the carpet, storage compartment, and door sill plates.  I also laid down a good insulation under the carpet.  It is looking good.  I plan on finishing the console side covers this week, and start on the seats this weekend.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.